Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Allahu Akbar

Finished reading Inside the Kingdom by Robert Lacey.  Having read Lacey's previous work on Saudi Arabia, The Kingdom much of this book was a review and synopses of that work.  However, this book does cover the period after 1985 into the present and, as such, contains information on Osama Bin Laden and Al Queda including how the man and the organization he built grew from a very religious young man into the most famous terrorist of this generation.  This book, as his previous book on the Kingdom, gives a wonderful introduction to the Saudi Arabia and the particular brand of Islam practiced there - including the problems that arise from the Saudi system and how that effects the Islamic world and the Western world when that religion is confronted by forces and ideas outside the religion.  Anyone interested in Mideast studies, Islam or as general information as to what the US and it's allies are doing over in that part of the world right now should probably read this book.
    Reading this book, in light of the book on Scipio which I completed just prior, I find that my understanding of the war in general and our position there has been quite illuminated.  I wonder what, exactly, our end goal is in the Islamic world.  I understand the need to deny extremists the ability to wage a war of terror so the military objective is clear.  However, I'm not sure what the political agenda is.  Ideally it is to create and promote a better peace after the fact - but what does that peace look like?  To my mind it would be a stable Middle East, this would include an answer to the Palestinian question (i.e. creating a stable and functioning Palestine - as a country all its own.) as well as an answer to the Jewish question (i.e. having a stable and secure Israel that is accepted or, at the very least, amicably tolerated by it's Arab neighbors.)  In order to accomplish this it seems clear that Saudi Arabia needs to be quite involved in the process.
   For my next book I will be focusing on Daniel Defoe's famous work Robinson Crusoe.  As it clearly falls into the category of "classic" and as it is a book I have not yet read though I am quite familiar with the Hollywood interpretations of the story I'm quite excited about this next read.
    On another note I made it back to the gym today after about three weeks absence.  Quite good considering I'm paying for it and it would be quite a waste if I didn't utilize the opportunity to remain in some semblance of physical health.
    As for my publishing this particular missive a day late, I worked on my truck last night replacing the fuel pump and then went and saw a movie at the Laurelhurst which is an experience all it's own.  For both I owe a debt of gratitude to the Big Tiki for both his assistance and his company.
    Until next we meet, challenge yourself and live life to it's fullest.

No comments:

Post a Comment